Spotlight On Kat Martin
Interview with Kat Martin
Affaire de Coeur's
June Calendar Girl
Bestselling author Kat Martin, a graduate of the University of California Santa Barbara, currently resides in Missoula, Montana with author husband, L. J. Martin. More than seventeen million copies of Kat’s books are in print, and she has been published in twenty foreign countries. Many of her novels have hit the New York Times Bestseller List, taking top ten spots. Kat’s next hardcover, THE PERFECT MURDER, a Romantic Thriller, will be released JUNE 22. 2021.
- How many different genres do you write?
I started writing historical, now I write Contemporary Romantic Thrillers
- Tell us about the type of characters you love to write about.
I’m plot oriented, but all of my characters have a strong moral code. They are courageous, loyal, and smart. Of course they all have different backgrounds and personalities, which is what, hopefully, makes them interesting.
- Do you have a new book or series?
I would have to say my Against Series is my favorite. Currently, I finishing the Garrett Brothers series. The Perfect Murder will be out in June, the last book in the series, which has turned out to be one of my favorites.
- Favorite quote?
“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. ‘press on’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.” Calvin Coolidge. It’s a much longer quote but that is the important part. It’s posted above my desk.
- What do you do when you just don’t feel like writing?
When I don’t feel like writing, I do promo work, get on social media and connect with readers. A real day off is rare unless we are traveling, which I love to do.
- There’s a lot of controversy going around about how authors shouldn’t write about things they’ve never experienced, i.e. if you’re not trans, gay, an addict etc. don’t write a character like that…what’s your take on that?
We write about dead people and we aren’t dead. It’s ridiculous. Add to that, a lot of us write fiction. We get to make things up--that is what writers do.
- Many indie authors don’t get their books edited by professionals. What advice would you give them?
Hire someone to do your copyediting, at the very least. It’s impossible to catch all of your own mistakes and readers catch the ones you miss.
- What do you do to go beyond your comfort zone when it comes to writing and life?
I pretty much stay where I’m happy. In business, I have taken a lot of risks, some paid off, some didn’t. It’s part of life, something you have to do to succeed.
- Will you be attending any book signings or conventions?
We are hoping to make the Western Writers of America convention in Colorado this year. Most of the others are not happening because of Covid.
- Pass on some words of wisdom, please, to aspiring authors.
The Coolidge quote is my best advice. Don’t give up. No matter what anyone tells you, keep fighting for your dream. Work hard and learn the craft of writing, and just don’t give up.
Please give us the following contact information:
Personal web page www.katmartin.com